Subject: crate2nix

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 09:52:58 +0200

Hi,

Just saw your crate2nix code and it looks very nice and clean!

Just a heads-up, since you might not aware of all the alternatives out
there, there is a version from Eelco that basically does the same as
yours but also handles git dependencies. I did blog about that briefly
last month [1].

I am curious if you were aware of that and/or naersk [2] as both of them
also come with the promise of no generated files and no *2nix commands
to execute.

Regards,

Andi

[1]: https://andreas.rammhold.de/posts/nix-rust/#import-cargohttpsgithubcomedolstraimport-cargo
[2]: https://github.com/nmattia/naersk

---

From: EuAndreh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2020 06:09:27 -0300

> Hi,

Hi there!

> Just saw your crate2nix code and it looks very nice and clean!

☺️

> yours but also handles git dependencies. I did blog about that briefly

I wasn't aware of it. At a first glance, it looks remarkably similar!
Maybe I'm on to something 😬. I'll try it later, thanks for the links.

> also come with the promise of no generated files and no *2nix commands

I did try naersk. It was the best one I found, in fact. It does use
Cargo under the hood to drive things, but it doesn't expose the
environment it builds. With it you can parameterize the Cargo commands,
but not run it by yourself.

In fact, there's a snippet that I copied directly from naersk[0]. I
didn't mention it on the README, only on the commit log.

[0]: https://git.euandreh.xyz/cargo2nix/commit/?id=c75e7e2d3ee7f7e074ea9f8e5b959d6395338acc