Subject: Progress on 'The database I wish I had'

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 17:29:03 +0100

Hi EuAndreh.

I am curious if you found any existing solution for the proposed database? I
have been looking at irmin (which was mentioned in all forums) a lot lately,
largely as substitute to libgit2, but recently also as a database.

It looks like the conversation have tapered off, or moved elsewhere? In any
case it was interesting stumbling across your post, seeing as I have been
having very similar ideas.

Regards,
Martin

---

From: EuAndreh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 18:36:56 -0300

> Hi EuAndreh.

Hi there!

> largely as substitute to libgit2, but recently also as a database.

I have written it down as a place to steal ideas from, which I plan to
do in the future as I mature more on the field, but irmin isn't a
solution, being written in OCaml.

> having very similar ideas.

I'm working on it, slowly but surely.

The previous "comment" link used to point to my email address first, and
the this public-inbox second. Because of that I had many conversations
done in private messages, where I imagine that people just got the first
link. I responded those in private, but many had similar enough
comments, and I wrote an article on that [0]. FYI: I recently added a
"articles by category" Atom feed, if you prefer a filtered list [1] of
articles.

On the ParsecC project mentioned on the article:
I'm already much more comfortable with creating a C API, but I got to a
point that I needed a proper error handling solution. I stumbled upon an
existing implementation of a parser combinator in C [2].

The point I'm at right now is to read and understand that source code.
In fact, it is 1 of 4 open tabs on my browser right now, before writing
this message.

If I find its error handling good enough, I'll replicate it in ParsecC,
and then in libedn.

I've also started reading a good book on the subject [3]. I can't speak
yet to all of it, but I like what I've seen so far.

I happy to discuss more about it, or answer questions you may have. And
also, I'm happy to accept contributions!

[0]: https://euandre.org/2020/11/12/durable-persistent-trees-and-parser-combinators-building-a-database.html
[1]: https://euandre.org/articles-by-category.html#mediator
[2]: https://github.com/wbhart/Cesium3/tree/combinators
[3]: https://www.immutablearchitecture.com/